The Tower


'O Death, rock me asleep, bring me to quiet rest, let pass my weary guiltless ghost. Out of my careful breath' - Anne Boleyn.

Today (or rather the 14th) I went solo to The Tower of London - I impress even myself - a valentines day with the thing I love the most. I apologise to my boyfriend, but history definitely wins. It doesn't hurt that I am a member of HRP, and didn't have to pay anything at the kiosk. I had been once before when i was younger. Young enough to appreciate a still treasured beefeater teddy. Too young to appreciate the history; or at least understand it. As I know for a fact I have always loved history. 

The things I most wanted to see were the White Tower, the Bloody Tower and the armouries. All of which were open (although I found the climb up to the White Tower rather hairy). However, all of this paled in comparison with St John's Chapel, something I've always wanted to see, but had completely forgotten about when preparing for the trip. So it was a lovely surprise and even more beautiful than I was expecting. 

Of course no trip to the Tower is complete without a trip to see the jewels. I was looking forward in particular to seeing the 12th century coronation spoon. And the ruby which once allegedly belonged to Edward of Woodstock. Which is generally referred to as the Black Prince's Ruby. During the Stuart period Colonel Blood an Irishman attempted to steal the jewels. At the time people were able to go in with the jewel keeper to see them. Blood and his accomplices asked to see them was allowed in. He knocked out the guard and took the jewels. He then made his escape but didn't make it. The king was so impressed by Blood he gave him lands and a pension for his cunning. 

The Tower of London or at least 'The a White Tower' was a work planned by William I, the Conqueror. However he died in 1087, allegedly before he could see his vision realised. It was apparently completed instead during the reign of William II Rufus, his second son (his eldest son Robert Curthose, meaning short legged/short trousered was given the families ancestral duchy of Normandy). It has remained a symbol of English Royalty for over nine hundred years and has seen use as a prison, palace and fortress. It's first prisoner was recorded in 1100 and it's last prisoners were the Kray twins, who were held there over their refusal to serve in the military. 

Famous prisoners include Anne Boleyn the second wife of Henry VIII. Mary Queen of Scots. Lady Jane Grey and her husband Lord Guildford Dudkey. Sir Walter Raleigh who had residence there with his family. Sir Thomas Moore. Edward V and his brother Richard, Duke of York. And, Guy Fawkes possibly the best known of all of these prisoners.  

The a White Tower


A friendly local 

The wooden face of Henry VIII from the original armour exhibition

Comments