Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

I recently read Simon Armitage's translation of 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight' and to say I was impressed is an understatement. If you're looking for a reasonably straight forward to read, translated medieval text look no further!

I found the translation interesting, understandable and amusing. It captured the essence of the medieval poetry beautifully, be the passage more tongue in cheek or chivalric in nature. 

The story is one I am very familiar with, however I found this version described everything in more detail, allowing the reader to connect at a higher level with the story; the horror of the appearance of the Green Knight during the celebrations, the fear of Sir Gawain as he walked towards his doom at the Green Chapel. 

Another good thing about this book is how short it is (it took me two hours to read, with stopping and starting) because I guarantee you will not be able to put it down. 

Comments